11.07.2013

The Big Bedroom Reveal

Right, I just realised you've seen almost nothing of my Yorkshire bedroom and have decided it's time for a proper bedroom reveal post.


Remember what it looked like after the move? No? That's because I didn't dare show you. But now I've got an improved version I can show you the "before".




Nice, yes? Ok, well not much has changed. Haha. Thank goodness that's a lie. 

First of all, we bought beds that are actually nice and fit up the stairs. The white Malm bed has been relocated to the spare room where it will stay until it is replaced with something more fitting. Now I feel like such an o̶l̶d̶i̶e̶ adult when I climb into my single bed at night. Then I remember that my bedside lamp is a bunny and probably used and loved by 3 year olds across the world.


The only remaining update on my to-do list is to make or buy a cosy light fixture and throw this one away (and by throw away I mean store in the cellar until we move and have to hang it back up for the next lucky tenant).

Next, we bought a wardrobe. Guess where from. Hint: it took us 3 hours to put together, including having to take it all apart again when the doors wouldn't go on properly. Turns out those cute little pictures aren't always super accurate... I don't love it but it's the best we could find in terms of price/size/storage room. It will have to stay here when we move because, well, it's from Ikea, i.e. the back panel is nailed on with a hundred nails.


If only the beams didn't slope (or if I had taken this fact into account when I measured before setting out to buy it) the wardrobe would have fit snugly underneath it and I would've had room for my dressing table to the right of it, just as you come up the stairs. Instead the dressing table is stuck in the darkest bit of the house and being pretty much ignored except when I dust it once a month. Any ideas on how to make this spot more useful and pretty?


Yes, I tried pushing the wardrobe into the beam just to make sure it wouldn't fit snugly underneath. Yes, it looks as if it might just fit. No, it doesn't.


My last step towards achieving a tidy looking bedroom (and this is where the word "looking" takes on full meaning) was hanging turkish towels behind the first beam on the far side to hide the big mess of boxes that have nowhere else to go.



So classy.


Naturally, because the ceiling and beams slope, the length isn't quite right all along... I've come to terms with this but I can understand how it might take you a month or two to accept the fact that it's staying like this. Ah, the joys of renting! Definitely an improvement though as I no longer feel as if I'm sleeping in a garage.



What I love about the bedroom is the ceiling. It makes it feel so nice and airy, kind of like a little tree nest at the top of the house.


I also love the window. The view isn't much to look at but you can see the hill round to the left, and you can hear the water running through the lock, and you can do a bit of stargazing before bed. That might work even better if I actually cleaned the window. 

This picture also proves that it doesn't alway rain in Yorkshire. In fact today it's gloriously sunny and I might have to slip out to take some pictures. Have you been keeping an eye on my Flickr page? If not, here it is!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Nice! Why not just cutting a few cm of your wardrobes feet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who needs a view outside the window when your bedroom is already a pretty sight? Haha! Nice makeover, Carrot! I love the cozy feel of your bedroom. I hope that it's still the same now that it’s almost a year since the makeover. Have a nice day!

    Hope Underwood @ Level and Square Construction

    ReplyDelete