10.16.2012

An English road trip: lavish Lavenham

Lavenham is a nice little town in Suffolk where my auntie Linda took us for a quiet day out. It's full of half-timbered houses and cute little shops and restaurants.


It's also got a guild hall with a tea room that sells home made cakes and a really lovely restaurant with Vitra Eames chairs. There, I've narrowed the points of interest right down for you.

Oh wait! I have to tell you about the church!


Looks like most churches from the outside, but on the inside, it has.....a bookshop!!! A sort of charity bookshop, where you can leave your unwanted books. And to pay for a book you just drop a Pound or two into an urn. Weird, very weird.


You can actually see the bookshop in the far left in this picture. I even foud the last Sue Townsend book I was looking for: Number Ten. Yay! That's something to check off my holiday bucket list. Buy book in church: done. 
Do you like the kneeler cushions? So cute. The bookshop thing really does make sense though.


Ok so this one has a little 3D issue, but it's cute anyway.


Is this a scene from the Bible that I've missed?

On to the village we go!


Some houses were really very crooked looking. I wonder how they get their curtains to hang straight around the window. 

Are you feeling hungry? I know I am. Time for delicious meal at The Swan, which is also a hotel by the way, and a very nice looking one at that.



hello lovely decor...


.... hello yummy food!




Sophisticated mackerel


Sophisticated burger


Sophisticated belly pork

It's all very meaty isn't it... I can't remember what I had, I guess I didn't take a picture of it! Must have been too good to stop munching for.

After a delicious lunch we went for a walk to the Guild Hall, a beautiful old building that houses a museum. (and a tea room, but you knew that already)



Meet the barrel family



Nice vintage chair don't you think?


And a lovely courtyard garden









Complete with foxgloves


and a palace!


Did I mention carrot cake?


So many pretty houses





I never realised that double decker buses were used outside of London. I'd love to take a ride through the countryside at the top of one of those.


Next stop: Stilon, Melton Mowbray, and sunny Nuneaton!!! Stay tuned for some cheese...

No comments:

Post a Comment